Saturday, November 15, 2008

Surrender, or girls' weekend so far...

Girls' weekend has, thus far, been quite a success.

We had a slumber party last night with 2 extra 6 year olds. Chaotic doesn't quite do justice to the level of craziness that occured here last night. But it was fun. My favorite part - when three, yes three 6 year olds took a bath. Together. A surprisingly large amount of water stayed in the tub.

After the girls went to bed, I watched Lars and the Real Girl. Very moving. I kept dozing, though, so I plan on watching it again late tonight - maybe I'll doze through the parts I saw last night and see the rest of the movie. (Really, it's a good movie, I was just so stinkin' tired I couldn't not doze)

I had my first Edgu class this morning, so the slumber party ended kinda earlier (but they were all up before 7 anyway, so it wasn't like I was being a mean hostess and kicking out sleeping girlies, in case you were wondering). Anyway, Edgu. I really liked it. Different from anything else I've ever tried. All new-agey and spiritual. It's designed to alleviate back pain, and I've heard amazing things about it. You don't have to have back pain to benefit from it, though, that's just where it began.

Then the girls and I headed down to Costco and Trader Joe's (45 minutes away - we go about 2x a year). We got goodies for our roadtrip, plus a few groceries for the coming week. And, what's a penny-pinching mom who's trying to budget for a cross-country roadtrip to do when her 6 year old asks for the gingerbread house kit? This penny-pinching mom says, "Yes! Let's get it!" These kits have become a bit of a tradition in our house, so I couldn't say no.

Of course the gingerbread house must be decorated as soon as possible, so with Aubrey seated nicely in her chair and Lauren half naked and climbing across the table, Gingerbread House '08 began. For each piece of candy Aubrey put on the house, Lauren ate 4. And then, just for the heck of it, Mommy (of all people!) squeezed some frosting on Lauren's knee. Oops. Then Aubrey's wrist. Oops again. The frosting of each other continued for sometime, until Aubrey couldn't handle it anymore and decorating of the house resumed. Lauren went back for more frosting on her legs, and that's when mom declared that dinner would be served in the bath. Yes, I was afraid the sugar would take over my house if I didn't get it cleaned up immediately, and the only way the girls would be pried away from the frosting fiesta was to offer such a ridiculous alternative that they would be foolish to say no.

Leftovers in the tub. Not cold macaroni and cheese like in Todd Parr's book, but cold (as requested) broccoli-chicken casserole. And some applesauce. Two clean girls later and we're settling in to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks. Well one of us has to clean the kitchen at some point, but I'm thinking Lauren's up for the challenge, right? By the time I was 2 1/2 I was dusting the china. This girl's had it easy for way too long. Time she help out around here, I say.

Completely unrelated, Emily posted about school dances, so I thought I'd share a picture from senior prom. Looking back, I think I was pretty cute. Hindsight, and all. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. oooh, that is such a fun picture! why is your background different from my senior prom picture? weird. did you guys color coordinate on purpose? i LOVE all the blue. you all look fantastic!

    my goal in posting about dances was to get other people to post, i'm always so curious. my husband read my post and then proceeded to tell me about some of his dances, and we laughed for like an hour. high school was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you tell your stories! It's like I'm there with you and your super cute daughter's! That makes even ME want to do a gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)