Thursday, November 6, 2008

Book Review - American Wife


I just finished reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, and I really enjoyed it.

The story is fiction, but it's based, quite obviously, on the life of First Lady Laura Bush, beginning as a child and ending about 2 years ago. I couldn't put it down. 558 pages by an amazing author. Her other boks will be checked out by me as soon as possible.

She could have very easily written this novel with much less respect shown to the real life folks the main characters portray, but I think she did a great job of fictionalizing their lives realistically (sounds oxymoronic, right?) and respectfully. It's so easy to forget that our leaders are human, especially if we don't like some (or all) of what they've done. My opinion of President Bush hasn't always been a favorable one, but this book reminds me (was that the author's plan?) that he is only human, and I should look for the best in him - and all our leaders - in the same way in which I try to look for the best in everyone I encounter personally.

4 comments:

  1. So is the book more about her political life? or her personal life? Or how politics are in her personal life? ...I just don't think I would enjoy it if all it were about is politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not all about politics at all - actually very little - it follows her beginning in her childhood, as a single teacher, then dating and marrying the man who would later be a governor and president... politics is definitely part of the story, but it's not a political story - make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about this book too, and that he initially started out to write it because he didn't like them and ended up with more respect. I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thanks Rachel! And thanks for giving me an "Amen"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)