Monday, December 8, 2008

Small steps, indeed

In my online adventures, I always stumble upon neat things, and sometimes I like what I see so much I kinda want to share it. So when I stumbled upon this post I was inspired to elaborate on one of the small steps (that the post mentioned) that I've been taking for some time. This small step helps save some money and also helps me to leave a smaller footprint here on earth.

Some people know I don't use shampoo or conditioner in my hair already, but if you didn't know, there you have it. Conventional shampoo strips your hair of it's natural oils and conditioner then adds in artificial ones. I don't like much that's artificial so I wash my hair with baking soda and rinse it with apple cider vinegar. I urge you to try it, and if you are so inclined, know that there's an adjustment period where your hair may feel kinda funky, but when that period is over, your hair will likely be silky soft and dreamy. So soft that you'll catch yourself absentmindedly running your fingers through your hair throughout your day, loving how the softness feels between your fingers.

Here's how to do it, and what to expect.

1. Get your hair wet.

2. Obtain a scoop of baking soda (this is not very scientific, and varies based on your hair thickness, length and what feels right to you - I use maybe 3 tablespoons???) and spread it over your scalp. Keep it out of your eyes, please. It's pretty messy, just do the best you can. (Don't worry too much about the ends of your hair - as you rinse, they'll get plenty clean. Unless you are 2 years old and have a nice blob of maple syrup caked in there - in which case, some extra baking soda attention is required.)

3. Rinse the baking soda out.

4. Fill a cup (again, not scientific) with mostly water, top it off with apple cider vinegar (I've heard that regular vinegar is too harsh for your hair). My measurements work out to approximately 1 1/2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar.

5. Pour water/vinegar over your scalp.

6. Rinse until you no longer smell vinegar.

If you want to add a pretty smell, after the vinegar rinse, put a few drops of essential oil into another cup full of water, and pour on your scalp.

There is something quite satisfying about the lather you can work up with shampoo, and you don't get that with baking soda. Also, for a few moments your hair does smell like easter, as opposed to strawberry shortcake or ocean breeze. But oh, the dreaminess afterward. Occassionally I'll miss the lather so much that I'll sneak a bit of Andy's Suave. My satisfaction is fleeting, however, as my hair doesn't feel nearly as good and I think of all the unpronounceable chemicals that I just put onto (and therefore into) my body and our water system.

So there you have it, one small step. Give it a thought, and let me know if you try it. Or if you have any questions.

5 comments:

  1. hmmmmm
    I may have to try that. Does it work well for hair that is very, very thin and therefore picks up mass amounts of static? Alorah still has baby fine hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You may just be my inspiration Rachel!

    How long is the transition period? Do you wash your hair everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, so i have REALLY long hair. and a very greasy scalp. will this really work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, first things first...

    The static shouldn't be a problem. Seems to me that if I don't use enough vinegar, my hair is more staticky (so you may want to play with how much you use). In the winter I usually have a dryer sheet in my coat pocket just in case (did that before I switched, too).

    The adjustment period - plan on about 2 weeks. Keep in mind, you will be the only one to notice this adjustment, it's not visible, it's feelable. Well, so if you have someone regularly run their hands through your hair, they might notice. Andy never noticed, or if he did, he didn't say and just chalked it up to my crazy ways. :-)

    I wash my hair ever other day. Sometimes I can get away with every 3rd day with this method. With shampoo & conditioner I can't go more than 2 days ever.

    And, really long hair and a very greasy scalp - I don't see a problem. you'll want to work more baking soda into your hair, I'd imagine, and maybe increase the water/vinegar mix (I'm picturing your hair thick, too, though I'm not sure if it is). I've heard stories of people with oily scalps being able to reduce how often they wash their hair because the oil isn't such a problem anymore, but no personal experience with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. neat. i think i'm going to try it. but i'm scared. so i'll probably wait 'til after christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)