Wednesday, October 1, 2008

craft projects of the week


First, Aubrey's Flower Princess crown. Her back-from-summer-break Daisy Girl Scout meeting was to be a "princess picnic" and, well, we don't do too much princess in our house, so I made Aubrey a crown. I'd been wanting to make her one for awhile, and turns out the princess picnic was the motivation I needed. All the fabric is felt, the ribbon a grossgrain that I machine sewed on with a fancy machine stitch and verigated thread, and her initial, along with the middles of the flowers, are just little glass beads. This was so easy to make. And pretty quick.

Next (and last craft project of this post) is the play dough. Aubrey's been asking for months if we could make play dough, and she always happened to ask in the middle of making dinner, or driving to the library, or after brushing teeth before bed. So, finally, tonight, I remembered that she's been wanting to do this and I got it started. My helpers were so helpful, picking out the two most beautiful colors - "bwue" is what Lauren chose, like the ocean, while Aubrey opted for yellow. Egg yolk yellow, if you ask me.

As you can probably tell from the picture, there seems to be more green play dough then the afore-mentioned bwue and yellow. Yup. Because when asked if the two could be mixed, I took a deep breath to calm the OCD and responded sweetly with, "It's your playdough, what do you think?" A resounding "YES!" immediately followed, along with requests for bowls, for the proper mixing. Tools are everything, you know.

I predict that by tomorrow at dinner time, there will be no visible evidence of there ever having been two seperate, distinct batches of play dough made today, and that the hulk green that we've created will be made into pizza, cookies, blueberry pie, towers and assorted family members.

(And, because I am sure you are so curious, the bowl pictured is my favorite bowl, and since it is my favorite, it is also Aubrey's favorite. This means that sometimes we fight over it. No, not really, but if she weren't one of the loves of my life, I just might fight her for it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)