Friday, May 21, 2010

I was like a kid

and it was like the candy store.

albeit a small candy store. but still.

~~~~~~

Saturday was the start of the book sale at the library. All childrens books $0.50 a piece.

The sale was scheduled to begin at 9am, when the library opened. I had $20 to spend on books for Lauren's preschool. Another $20 of my money, for books for us.

There was no way I was gonna miss out on the best of the best of the fifty-cent books, so I was there at 8:45. And the parking lot was empty. Did I get my days wrong? Does the sale start on a different day? Why on earth are there not hoards of people?

The sign was still up on the door, announcing that it did, in fact, begin that day. So I walked around the block. And another block. And marvelled that the little coffee shop downtown isn't open on Saturdays. Of course, downtown was pretty dead, so maybe it makes sense that they are closed Saturdays. But I would've gone in and gotten some tea, had they been open.

Then I went and sat outside at the library. at 8:58 another lady arrives, and she just stands by the door. I join her. There's an employee on the inside looking at us. I ask Other Lady if she's there for the book sale. Nope, just there to use the computer. There's a book sale, huh? Umm, HELLO!!!

Finally they open the doors. I beeline for the children's section. It's pretty small, but I'm not discouraged. I am the only one there. seriously? Well I'm not complaining, but seriously? Maybe 10 minutes in, with my stack 10 inches high, a friend (who I told about the sale, thankyouverymuch) arrives. I keep adding books to my stacks - now there are two, each about 10 inches high.

Finally, at about 9:30, a few more people wander in. And see me add to my piles. "Ma'am, are these books you have set aside?" "Yes, those are mine." Had we both actually said what we were thinking, I think it would have gone more like this: "Ma'am, are ALL these books set aside? Really, you are buying ALL THESE books? Umm, don't you think you should leave some for the rest of us?" "Yes, those are mine. Book sales are serious events. Next time you better be here at 9. Don't you dare touch my piles, I bite."

But, as the crowd grew (to, umm, 5), I felt a bit self concious that my stacks were so high. So I left with 42 books. 25 for the preschool, and 17 for us. Never fear, though, I went back Monday and got 15 more for the preschool, and 1 more for us.

And, when we were at the library for story time on Wednesday, I didn't even let myself walk over near the sale shelves. I have incredible restraint, loads of will power. Just don't tell me about a book sale ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)