Monday, March 15, 2010

recipes

Do you have a collection of recipes? If so, how do you keep them?

Andy and I each have our own favorites, and for a long time we each had a seperate binder, but now that we've been together long enough that we think this relationship will last, we've decided our recipes could comingle. Kind of. ;-) More like, we needed a small binder for a different project, and had a huge 3-incher itching to be used, so we decided to combine them. Sort of.

When the binder is right side up, Andy's recipes (all typed in Times New Roman 11pt) greet you, alphabetically, of course. Each recipe is in it's own sheet protector. When the binder is turned over and around, my recipes greet you. Still in the sheet protectors (that is really stinkin' smart!), but mine lack the anal retentive flair Andy's possess. Some of mine are hand-written. Some of mine are photo-copied. Some of mine are falling apart, after having spent years in my Great-Aunt Ibby's cookbook. Alphabetical order is out the window. And, some of mine, *gasp* share their sheet protector with another recipe or two. Shh, don't tell Andy's recipes. They may not take well to hearing how their neighbors live.

Most of our recipes have also made it to the computer (well, all of Andy's, seeing as they are all typed), and many also have a home in our e-mails. That's proven helpful many a times, when we've been visiting family and the in-laws want my cobbler, or my cousin requests that Andy make his pumpkin pie. Sure, we could (and do!) find substitute recipes online, but the recipes that we've saved are the ones that we've used again and again, and that we know work for us.

And today I'll be adding another recipe to my side of the binder. Granola bars. Oh my. You should try these. Really, you should. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I have a binder with sheet protectors as well. They were initially all typed and alphabetized but as I add more recipes, they just go in the back instead of going in alphabetical order. so the first few are alphabetized and organized according to type of dish, but everything else is just random. some day i'll fix it--but not today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what an idea! my recipes are all printed out from various places, plus some hand written ones as well, and they are all thrown in a wooden brown easter basket type thing that's in my food closet? (i can't think of the appropriate word). i've thought about putting them in a binder before, but i never have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)