Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

So Puxatawney Phil tells us there'll be another 6 weeks of winter, and he's only right 40% of the time? That works for me, bring on the spring!

The National Parks: America's Best Idea makes me want to load up the car and hit the road. And then I remember that there are so many beautiful places to see beyond National Parks. Especially if we can get away from all the concrete and asphalt. So once my sniffles subside, we're going to Miller Springs Nature Center - less than 10 miles away - all I need to pack are water bottles and snacks. Well, maybe a diaper, too.

Andy bought Food, Inc. and Food Rules last week, and we're both a bit more inspired, now.

Have you seen Food, Inc.? Must-see, if you haven't yet. It's good to know where your food comes from. And the family that really can't see how to afford broccoli and pears, so they hit a drive through? So very sad.

Food Rules is exactly that. Rules about food. Some rules are elaborated with a few paragraphs. Other rules need no elaboration. Like my favorite, Rule #20 -

It's not food if it arrived through the window of your car.

That's not to say I'll never go to sonic again, but, you know, I'll try to keep in mind that much of what will come in that brown paper sack is, as author Michael Pollan calls it, edible foodlike substances, and decidedly not food.

I'm working on a nutrition curriculum to bring to Lauren's preschool - one that will involve parents. I subbed there last week, and the lunches some of the one year olds were eating, it made me so sad. The Director is saddened, too. So we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)