Tuesday, January 12, 2010

beat 'em or join 'em?

So, do we buy a minivan or suv? We aren't in the market this week, or this month. Maybe later this year. So, go for the more environmentally friendly minivan, or the safer suv?*

That's one of the problems with being environmentally aware. I'm leaning towards suv because of the safety factor. But then there's guilt, because I know our chances of being in an accidnet are pretty slim. Oy.

We aren't in the market any time soon - we're doing fine with what we have for the time being. I'm just dreaming. And feeling guilty about dreaming of a gas guzzler.

THAT's frustrating. I can't turn off my environmental awareness. Some days I just want to turn it off. But I can't. Or, I can, but as soon as I turn it back on (involuntarily, I might add) I feel bad about whatever I did while it was off. Sonic strawberry limeade in a big ol' styrofoam cup, anyone? What about Taco Bell in their handy-dandy plastic bags? Roadtrips are the worst for this, but it happens often enough without roadtripping, too.

Ugh. Now I want a strawberry limeade, but feel guilty about wanting a strawberry limeade. I'm a dork. Such a dork.

Anyway, what would (or did) you do? minivan or suv?

*to explain, in case you don't know... we are a family of 5. Most of the time we don't all 5 of us go out, but on the rare occassion that we do, we currently take 2 cars. We roadtrip a fair amount (the girls and I - we let Andy stay home and work, aren't we sweet like that? ;-) )

5 comments:

  1. all things in moderation Rachel! and in this instance i do think you can have the best of both worlds. to be honest i don't know enough about hybrids, but why not get a SUV hybrid? ..my boss as a beautiful Lexus SUV hybrid, and it's amazing! amazing as in beautiful, not as in Green - although it could be very green.
    i truly thing at fastfood places you should be able to supply your own cup. i wonder what would happen if you went to sonic and ordered a limeade, and said "can you put it in my own cup?" ...i'm sure they wouldn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably know my thoughts, but minivans are probably just as safe as SUVs these days. They have airbags all the way back (in the doors) and are much bigger than cars. But there are also more enviro-friendly SUVs now too, they're, whaddya call 'em...crossovers? yeah. And they usually have an extra row in the back and pretty good gas mileage. I'm minivan all the way and am dying to get one. We won't be able to fit all three kids in our one very small car, so it's going to have to be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a minivan mama. Not because I was thinking of the environment at the time, but because I like the ease of it with having a family of then 3 and now 5.

    That being said, my dream vehicle is an Escalade LOL... But I want one of those when the kids are off driving their own vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, now I want a Sonic strawberry limeade. :)

    I checked out your post from way back when about your no poo method. I think I'm almost ready to give it a try! Thanks for commenting on the Green Phone Booth today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I ventured over from the link on the comment you left me earlier...thank you!

    I have to say...I have an SUV. A BIG one. And I LOVE it. I am conscious of the environment...and I do a lot to help it...so maybe I break even? I don't know...it can be so overwhelming. There are SO many things that we could do...but I just can't think about ALL of them. You know? I choose what I CAN do...what I'm comfortable doing...and then I DO them. And then, maybe next year, I'll add something else to the list. One thing at a time. And no guilt...that's not what it's about.

    And...I LOVE stawberry limeades...A LOT. I feel bad about the styrofoam, too...I guess I have mixed feelings because I'm always so grateful that it keeps the drink so nice and cold. I'm torn!

    Anyway...it's late. And I'm punchy...obviously! Probably NOT the best time to comment on a blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)