Saturday, April 4, 2009

Let the Gardening Begin!

It's supposed to snow tonight and into tomorrow, but dangit, it's spring time, and we should be playing in the dirt. So we did.

I'm hoping to blog about my gardening this year so that I can go back and remember what worked and didn't work, and well, this is the best place for me to do it, so I'll try to amuse you with my gardening trials. :-)

First, we (Col, the girlies and I) headed to the farm where we have a community garden plot. Last fall we were very mindful to clean up our tomato cages and retrieve our tools, but not everyone remembered to do that, so we volunteered to help the owner of the property clean up. Doug opens up his property to our church community, prepares it at his expense and receives no monetary compensation - the least we could do was pull a few tomato cages and garden markers out of the ground!

Then, a quick trip to Wal-Mart to buy some seeds. Actually, it was a long trip to Wal-Mart because it was 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon. The worst time to go to Wal-Mart. But whatever. We only needed seeds and soil.

Since we don't know where we'll be when, we just got the small packets of seeds - the $0.20 packets. I know, I know, I'm a big spender. I'm going to break the bank, what with the $1.60 we spent on seeds. But, what I like about these packets is you get just a few seeds - 14 green bean seeds, 11 cucumber seeds. I didn't count the tomato seeds, and the other packets remain unopened. Anyway, just a few seeds works great for me as I'm not organized enough to consistently remember where I put last year's seeds that I can plant this year, and I do not need to plant 75 green bean plants.

So we reused two cardboard egg cartons to plant green beans and cucumbers, and Aubrey planted some cherry tomato seeds in two larger pots. We'll start them inside, and maybe by the 4th of July the snow will have stopped and we can put things outside then.

That's where I'm at today. Are you growing anything this year? If so, what, and when did/will you start it?

I'll try to blog more later about life and such, but first I've got some girlies to bathe.

Stats:
2 pots Large Red Cherry Tomatoes
11 Muncher Cucumbers
13 Tendergreen Improved Garden Beans

1 comment:

  1. green thumb i am not. i have however wanted to try and grow my own herbs since i use them so much, and i've heard that can be pretty easy since some are done inside?!

    ...a couple of weekends ago i was in College Station, TX and my cousin tooke me to an orchard, and we picked fresh lettuce and strawberries, ..i immediately thought of you and said to myself "i know this is Rachel's kind of thing, she would love this." it was pretty much awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)