Friday, July 20, 2012

Whoa, Nellie

Thinking 'out loud' over here.

I just committed to being a preschool teacher at our co-op. And part of me knows I can do it. That part of me is really excited. The other part of me is kinda kicking my own butt right about now.

One day, maybe, I will be a member of a group without helping to run it. Phh. That's funny. I'm just crazy enough to help any chance I get. And it always works out. But yikes, I've got to make a plan.

Okay, 12 class sessions, one hour each. Spread out over 3 months. This is doable. Absolutely doable. So doable that I feel foolish worrying about it.

Looks like I've mostly got free reign as to how to do things, and what to do.

My first thought is to read stories, and do art related to the stories. Now to come up with book/art combo ideas....

Harold and the Purple Crayon (purple oil pastels on sketch paper)
Beautiful Oops (collage with mixed bits and pieces)
The Monster at the End of this Book (fingerpaint monster masks)
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See?
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Jamberry
Ten Apples Up On Top (Apple stamping - maybe on t-shirts? And apple stacking)

Okay, but also, knowing the alphabet, and how to count (and how high?), recognizing/writing their own name. This class will probably be 3 and 4 year olds, maybe an older 2 year old, too. Lots of cutting, drawing, gluing, creating.

Sasha loves when I use dots to write her name, and she works on tracing it. (Thanks, Kristin - I remember you doing that with Jake.)

1 comment:

  1. sounds like your action plan is already in place! you are gonna do awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)