Wednesday, July 4, 2012

it's like this, and like that, and like this, you know?

Most days I hate titling my posts. I do it, but I hate it. And I know 'hate' is a strong word, but it's true. The title stumps me. Because usually I'm just typing about some random stuff. But I really don't want EVERY title to be 'Random' or some variation on the word.

We went to the parade today (Happy 4th of July, by the way! I love the 4th, but it makes me miss my mom's family - it was a time when we usually all gathered.) Back to the parade. Apparently it's supposed to be one of the best. Even made USA Today's list in 2008. It was nice, but insane. 90 minutes of a parade, with a guesstimate of 30,000 spectators. So we parked at 8:30 for the 10am parade. In the sun. In Texas. In July. And we enjoyed it. But we probably won't do it again. At least not without some serious planning. A canopy to pitch. Comfy chairs. A stocked cooler.

I am working on Aubrey's birthday party plans. Scratch that. Aubrey is working on her party plans. I am offering creative assistance as she desires it, and also the annoying, but fortunately rare, "No" when her ideas are a bit too much. And, most of my "No's" have really been "Or's" to make a celebration she wants and we can afford/pull off.

But I really am working on Sasha's party. No input from her. I am not even going to ask. Because in another year or so she will be full of ideas and since I am prepared to honor those ideas to the best of my ability, this year, I pick. We're going to have a Harold and the Purple Crayon theme, and read some of Sasha's favorite stories (including Harold, of course!). And we'll be art-ing and craft-ing, too. And playing. There is always playing when you are 2-almost-3. Maybe a pin the tail on the donkey game, with a picnic blanket and pies (Harold once picnics with 9 pies - if I didn't already have a cake plan, I'd consider serving pie.) And, for party favors, I do not like giving out plastic thingies that break on the ride home. Nor do I like giving out candy. So I'm on the look out for one or two cute items to send home in lieu of a 'goodie bag.' The front runners are:

A copy of a Harold story; or

A crayon roll and simple journal

Also, I should be in bed. I am tired. And I know I will be mad at myself in the morning. But sometimes it's just too hard to get to bed. I can go to bed early tomorrow night, right? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I like to do t-shirts for presents. It's so easy to buy t-shirt transfer paper and a package of hanes t-shirts at target. You could do a picture of Harold with his crayon! But I like the idea of a purple crayon and journal, too. Cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually LOVE thinking of a title for my blog posts...funny!

    so um since you don't blog consistent enough and because i don't remember, i think you should do a run down of your cute family...how old are your girls?, what do they like? etc... I just can't keep up! the one thing i do know is that they are all so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)