Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tree Huggin' Tuesday

Power Sources

Your ability to choose your power company depends on where you live, and is, therefore, much easier for some than for others.

In Wisconsin, as far as I ever knew, there was THE power company. It was kind of a monopoly. I wasn't aware of having an option as to where my power camew from.

In Texas, though, there's lots of power companies, competing for my business. So, I was able to search for renewable energy sources, along with comparing rates, contract terms, etc. Our home is completely powered by wind. Not just any wind, either, but real, authentic Texas Wind (I like to keep it local, you know). The companies told me how much of their energy was 'green' - it varied from 0% to 100%. And the rates were definitely comparable to the less green options.

I don't know what it's like where you live. But if you are able to choose, once you've made the decision (and the switch, if it involves switching power companies), there's really no follow-up. Except paying your power bill, but you'd probably be doing that anyway. ;-)

Happy Huggin'
R

2 comments:

  1. so what kinds of questions do you ask? Xcel is the power company here, I'll have to look to see if I have any other options. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I'll have to check that out. I'm pretty sure that we only have one option and that is AEP, but that is just an assumption.

    On a completely different note, the girls got their post card in the mail! They were thrilled, we will be sending something out within the next couple of days :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)