Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tree Huggin' Tuesday

April gave me the idea to talk more about what I do to be 'green,' so here you go...
Produce Bags

I have cloth produce bags. These, along with some random little cotton bags that I've ended up with. (but did you see these? or these? or this? aw crap, I need more bags!) I love my produce bags, but I could definitely be green without them... the plastic produce bags from the store can be used again and again (if you use twist-ties or don't tie the bag at all). Also, if I'm buying 3 or fewer of something, I rarely use a bag.

I also try to avoid buying produce already packaged in plastic. This is very hard to do with strawberries and grapes, but very easy to do with potatoes, tomatoes, onoins, apples, oranges... you get the idea.

Baby steps... if you only have one produce bag, that's okay. Use it, along with whatever else. You'll acquire more, bit by bit. Don't wait to start. And, don't worry about what others might think. You just might inspire someone else to give it a try!

My littlest tree hugger appreciates your efforts!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I should probably do that! Sasha is absolutely adorable, the sleeper is so fitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. l-o-v-e it! thank you! Sasha is gorgeous! ....you and Andy make some cute cute kids!

    this leads to another question however - how do you REMEMBER the produce bags?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, yes, remembering them is tricky. But it can be easy - just keep them with your reusable grocery bags. ;-)

    In all seriousness, though, it's tough to make this a habit. Keeping them in your car might help, or in the bottom of your purse. What I had to do was get tough with myself - I wouldn't use the plastic ones at all. After forgetting the cloth for a few trips, I started remembering (because it can be a pain to have 8 apples rolling all over the place in the cart!).

    At our grocery store, on all the cart returns, there are signs: "Don't forget your cloth bags!" - I LOVE that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)