Thursday, February 26, 2009

Victorio

When I was a teenager, maybe about 13, my great uncle took me to visit his friend, Louisa. She lived on loads of acres just a fwe miles north of the Mexico border. Louisa had the right combination of time, space, money and heart that she had a kind of animal refuge on her property. A huge pen with 30+ llamas. A large 'chicken' coop with assorted feathered beauties, assorted dogs, and, the reason for our journey to see her, a baby bison.

I can't remember the details of why the bison was in need of refuge. Maybe the mother abandoned him. Whatever the case, Louisa became his mother. Her home was a classic New Mexico adobe, with an adobe wall enclosing the "yard" - since she had so much land, she wanted a semi-private outdoor space, as well. So, my first introduction to little baby bison is Louisa leaning out the opening in her adobe wall, sweetly calling, "Victorio! Victorio!" From out of nowhere the most adorable little bison - maybe only 2 or 3 feet tall, and shaped much like a box - came running to Louisa's sweet call. He followed us as we walked along the property that day, never straying far from his "mama."

His fur was not very soft, as I recall. But come on, he's a tough bison, he's not really supposed to be cuddly. Anyway, he lived with Louisa until he got too big for her property, and then he went to live with one of THE New Mexico ranching familes that own thousands upon thousands of acres. Last night I lay in bed wondering how they moved him - a big horse trailer, or a pack of guys on horses, herding him north. Or maybe they air-lifted him to his new home - I picture him in a sling, similar looking to what they use to fly water in to fight forest fires - with his legs dangling, and his head peeking out. ;-) I don't know why I've been thinking of Victorio lately, but he's been on my mind, I thought you might like to know of him.

And, unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of Victorio - what I wouldn't give now to have a picture of me petting a baby bison. :-)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! that is so neat! I'd like to see a picture of that too. I wonder if he ever got rough?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)