Saturday, January 24, 2009

A story....

First, my morning sickness has been out of control. Awful. Debilitating. For two weeks I’ve been under-eating, because of my lack of appetite combined with the 24/7 nausea. So my energy has been at zero. Poor Andy and the girls, they’ve been so great and patient. But, last night I filled a prescription for Zofran. A very powerful (and expensive!) anti-nausea drug. And I feel great. So great that I decided I better clean the rabbits’ cage. Poor rabbits haven’t had their cage cleaned for about 3 weeks.

Now we back up a bit…. Back in March of ’08 we adopted a beautiful albino Flemish giant rabbit from our local shelter. She’d been altered (aka fixed) and this poor thing needed a home. It was love at first sight. She came to live with us March 31st. We gave her as much love and attention as we could, but bunnies really like to be bonded to someone – usually another bunny, sometimes a pet cat, it varies.

Anyway, in the back of my head I was thinking about finding a buddy for Honey. Then, our neighbors adopted two new puppies. In October, maybe? Their bunny, a black dwarf male who has not been fixed, was seeking a buddy, too, and with the new puppies to take care of, we all thought maybe Honey and Binky should live together. It was a match made in heaven. They bonded immediately, and were quite the sight, a HUGE white bunny and an itty bitty black bunny. Oh, but the love was obvious. So was the lust. ;-)

Back to this morning….. so I’m using the shop-vac to vacuum up the bunny poop that inevitably misses the litter box. And out from their “cave” (bunnies, like most small animals like to have a darkish, quiet private space) hopes a little gray rat. Well, my first thought was rat, at least. But no, Honey and Binky are parents. To four adorable baby bunnies. How old are they? Umm, I’m not sure – but they all have fur – so they are more than a few days old.


So the shelter and I have been communicating as to what to do as far as getting Honey fixed – no word on what we’ll do with the babies yet. The woman on the phone was very nice but she kept saying, “No, but Honey was altered.” And I kept saying, “Yes, but she just had babies!” “Well are you sure she was the one to have them? The other bunny couldn’t possibly be a female and maybe she had them?” Umm, either way, the bunny that we thought had been fixed, hadn’t! But Honey is the mama – it’s obvious.

Alison thinks it’s hilarious that all this went down in our living room and we had no idea. I think it’s funny, too. I’m not sure Andy finds it so amusing. But that’s probably because he hasn’t had a chance to meet the little darlings. When he gets home tonight I bet he’ll fall in love quickly and then I’ll have to pry the little suckers out of his hands.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been so sick, that's awful. My sister takes Zofran during her pregnancies but she hates it because it makes her so (sorry to say this on your blog) constipated. But even with the medication, she didn't feel tons better, she just didn't throw up anymore. congratulations on the bunnies! That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the Zofran is helping! I took it te first time around and it helped a lot. Our insurance has changed since then and we just couldn't buy it this time around. Congrats on being a bunny "grandma"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :-)